In the 1780’s a system was introduced in the United Kingdom to ensure the safe transit of letter to and from abroad while in the UK. In 1792 the ‘Money Letter’ system was introduced. This provided safeguards for letter containing money although no compensation could be claimed. Money letters were charged at double the normal rate and were endorsed “Money Letter”. The system was ended on 1st January 1840.
The ending of the money letter system corresponded with complaints of theft and so Registered Post began on 6th January 1841. However, no compensation was offered until 1878, but each letter was endorsed with ‘Registered’ and a number and was sent with a green way-bill giving details along with a receipt form to be completed by the addressee.
It was obviously more convenient for Post Offices to have handstamps for Registered letters. An early example was in use in Chester in 1842.
The Post Office name was shown in this example from Edinburgh and was used into the 1850’s.
In March 1848 the 1 shilling registration fee was reduced to 6d. The Post Office in Burnley, Lancashire produced a rectangular with ‘Registered’ and its office name incorporated. During the 1850’s a number of provincial Post Offices produced varieties of framed stamps with the word ‘Registered’ and unframed stamps also started to come into use.
There were also a small number of special types and Liverpool produced a variant of the Duplex Spoon cancellation which was in use between 1857-58.
Glasgow used a double arc type cancellation from 1858 into the early 1860’s.
By the late 1850’s time dated stamps for registered letters had begun to appear. At the London Chief Office an unframed oval dated type came into use during 1856. This was replaced the following year by a smaller single arc type.
In 1858 the dated type in an oval frame appeared which became the standard type which was in use until the switch over to printed labels. The images below show types used at the time in Glasgow and Dublin
On letter sent from foreign locations the Crown registered mark remained in use at the London Chief Office until the late 1860’s.
From August 1862 it was made compulsory for inland letters containing coins to be registered.
In the late 1870’s Glasgow suffered from a considerable amount of non-delivery of important letters. The solution was to charge an extra ½d for a report of delivery to the sender. The stamps below we used during the early 1880’s when the scheme was in operation
During the 1880’s the use of single circle date stamps became far more common and large provincial offices started using them as cancellations. However a number of the earlier undated types still survived including this example from Cork.
The Dublin Office used an octagonal stamp from the 1870’s until the 1920’s.
The use of double circle dated cancellations were widespread in Scotland which lead to the introduction of the type in the 1890’s. The type was in use will into the 20th Century.
In the late 19th Century Hooded Circle types were also tried for registered letters.