Piggs Peak was named after Wiliam Pigg who discovered gold there.
Piggs Peak opened as a postal agency in 1904. The first postal agent was B P A Geldenhuis. It was subsequently upgraded to a sub post office and in 1910 the sub-postmaster received a salary of £120 per annum.
In 1923 the postal service between Piggs Peak and Barberton in the Mpumalanga province of South Africa was operated three times a week. The post was conveyed on foot and took 14 hours to arrive. The cost per annum of operating the service was £168.